Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

North We Go

The home of Aunt Erin and Uncle Joe

We ventured to northern PA this past weekend to visit my sister and her husband. It was to be the inaugural visit of their new home. The smell of freshly painted walls and milled lumber permeated the air – there was no mistaking it this time, their house was finally finished. She played the gracious host, and we settled in for a relaxing weekend in the mountains. They have built their home on the side of a mountain owned by her husband’s family. It is secluded, peaceful, and quiet – a perfect weekend getaway for us, the perfect “everyday” home for them – with the most fantastic sunset views.


Mr. and Mrs. in front of their newly-finished home

View from the lower trail to the back of the house

We woke on Saturday to a temperate sixty degrees – the mountain air is certainly refreshing. I had not felt cold in months and it was a welcome sensation to say the least. We had a picnic lunch on a lookout over the town of Honesdale, which is one town over from where we were staying. Joe’s family roots are deep in northern PA, and everywhere we turned it was “that’s my cousin’s place, my uncle has a store there, my cousin works there…” It was nice to know that my sister is surrounded by so many of her new family – since Lord knows there are none of us “flat-landers” any further north than Malvern.

Joe pointing out landmarks in Honesdale to Erin




Cutter exploring the grass

We left the cliff look-out and headed down Main Street where Cutter obliged us all with an afternoon snooze. There were quite a few cute little shops (with names like The Wallflower, Stephen’s Pharmacy and Mick’s Barber Shop it doesn’t get much more small town). The charming atmosphere was idyllic and I felt as if we had stepped back in time to when life was quieter and simpler.



Cutter took to the mountain air splendidly and slept through the night for the first time (a full 12 hours w/o a single peep). I did not know what to do with myself at 2 am, and lay awake for a full fifteen minutes before convincing myself that he was still breathing and it was permissible for me to sleep. The cover of darkness of the closet he slept in (thank you Aunt Erin, again!) must be thanked for the immeasurable success it lent to his overnight slumber. (Note to self: MUST install drapes in his room pronto).




We savored one last mountain morning and capitalized on the morning nap and headed back down the turnpike towards mass suburbia where Targets and Starbucks grow in bulk. It was a restful and relaxing weekend – but confirmed my suspicions that I am a “city” girl through and through, at least when it comes to consumer gratification. I appreciate the out of doors more than most (hello – I live in the woods!) but I need a traffic-jammed Route 30, Target-laden, over-commercialized highway more than I care to admit.



Thank you Aunt Erin and Uncle Joe (and Beasley and Buttercup) for hosting our obnoxious trio for the weekend, until next time!



Cutter with Aunt Erin

Cutter playing with Uncle Joe



1 comment:

Jase and Melissa said...

Wow. Maybe you should just have Cutter sleep in the closet from now on- Forget the drapes!